How to get the most out of WhatsApp Web for your business: everything you need to know
WhatsApp Business is a great way for small businesses to stay in touch with their customers. However, typing messages all day on your smartphone can get pretty tiring. Luckily, there are ways to use WhatsApp on your PC as well. In this guide, we’ll explain everything you need to know about using WhatsApp Web for your business.
The WhatsApp Business app is a handy solution for small businesses that want to reach their customers on the most popular messenger in the world. It’s free, it offers your business a verified account, text templates, and you can post business details, such as your opening hours, and your product catalog.
Normally, you set up WhatsApp Business on a phone. However, it can get pretty tedious to write and answer messages on a smartphone all day — especially if you also have to go back and forth between your phone and PC to compare customer data, or look up product information. This is where WhatsApp Web comes in.
It allows you to use your WhatsApp Business app on your PC through a browser or desktop application. In this guide, we’ll walk you through everything you need to know about using WhatsApp Web for your business on your computer.
⚠️ Important! With the WhatsApp Business app, GDPR compliance and data protection are not guaranteed! Only the official WhatsApp Business Platform (API) can guarantee that.
WhatsApp Web for businesses: Everything you need to know
- What’s WhatsApp Web?
- How to use WhatsApp Web with the business app in your browser
- WhatsApp Web as desktop app for Windows
- WhatsApp Web as desktop app for Mac
- What are the differences between WhatsApp Web and Desktop?
- What are the limitations of WhatsAppApp Web
- How to use WhatsApp Web with the official Business API
- Use WhatsApp Web for your business professionally, and get started right away!
There are two ways for using the regular WhatsApp Business app on your computer: a browser-based app, and a desktop application. According to WhatsApp:
WhatsApp Web and Desktop are computer-based extensions of the WhatsApp account on your phone. The messages you send and receive are synced between your phone and computer, and you can see your messages on both devices.
WhatsApp rolled out its web client in 2015, first only for Android, Windows and Blackberry, then also for iOS. The web client syncs your conversations in real time, so you can read and reply to them on your smartphone, and in your browser.
How safe is the web client?
Since its introduction in 2015, Meta has rolled out several safety layers for WhatsApp’s web client. For years, the web conversations have been end-to-end encrypted.
However, there are certain security threats in a user’s browser that app developers can’t control, unlike on a mobile app. Therefore, most recently, in March 2022, the browser version of WhatsApp Web was upgraded with the Code Verify security feature. It offers an independent, third-party, transparent code verification.
That means that if you use Code Verify, the extension automatically compares the code that runs on WhatsApp Web in your browser against WhatsApp’s code version. If there are any red flags, Code Verify notifies users about suspicious activity.
What’s new in the world of messenger apps? Always stay up to date with our newsletter!
Just like with your private WhatsApp messenger app, you can also use the WhatsApp Business app in your browser. Especially, when you have to write multiple messages a day, and look up information on your PC at the same time, it’s much more convenient to use WhatsApp Web with the Business app.
Setting it up is easy.
- Make sure you have the latest update of the WhatsApp Business app on your phone.
- Open up your internet browser. WhatsApp Web supports all major browsers, like Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Edge, and Opera.
- Go to the URL: https://web.whatsapp.com/. A QR code will appear.
- Now open WhatsApp Business on your smartphone. On an iPhone, go to your settings. If you have an Android device, select the three menu points (top right corner).
- Choose the option “add device”. This will activate the QR scanner on your phone.
- Scan the QR code in your browser with your phone.
Now, your devices are synced, and you can use WhatsApp Web for your business app in your browser. Keep in mind though that you can only have one browser tab open at the same time. If you prefer running WhatsApp Business on your PC, you can download the WhatsApp Desktop application.
You can download the Windows desktop application from the Microsoft Store or the WhatsApp Website. Important: Make sure that your operating system is Windows 8.1 or newer, otherwise the desktop application won’t work.
Once you have downloaded the application, start the set-up process on your Windows computer. Shortly after, you’ll see a QR code. Now, follow these steps.
- Open your WhatsApp Business app on your phone.
- Go to your menu (Android), or open your settings (iOS).
- Choose “add device” to open QR code scanner, and scan the code on your computer screen.
Now, you are ready to use WhatsApp Desktop on your Windows computer.
It’s also possible to install WhatsApp Business on your Mac computer. In order to download the desktop application, first to the App Store.
- Here, find the WhatsApp Desktopp app.
- Download and install it.
- A QR code will appear on your screen.
- Now, go to WhatsApp Business on your phone, and go to your settings.
- Choose the “WhatsApp Web / Desktop” option.
- Scan the QR code on your computer screen.
This will enable you to use WhatsApp Business on your Mac computer.
The interface of WhatsApp Web and WhatsApp Desktop look almost the same. In terms of functionality, though, the desktop application offers some additional features. You can:
- use keyboard shortcuts
- change the status of the read messages
- jump between chats
- make video and voice calls
As mentioned before, neither the Web nor the Desktop applications guarantee GDPR compliance or data protection.
There’s also no ticketing system for assigning tasks or messages. Especially, if you have a lot of messages coming in on WhatsApp, it’s hard to keep track of who answered which inquiry, and not to loose any information.
Also, if you are using any other messaging apps for customer communication, you’ll still have to go back and forth between platforms and devices. In sum, even if WhatsApp Web offers some advantages over just using the app on your phone, you are still very limited in what you can do, compared to the official Business API.
In 2018, WhatsApp introduced its official Business Platform (until recently: WhatsApp Business API), aimed at medium and large companies. Unlike the app, the API is not free of charge, and companies need “WhatsApp Business Solution Providers” like MessengerPeople by Sinch to get access to the interface. However, the official Business API also offers several advantages.
- 👨⚖️ Your WhatsApp service ensures 100% data protection.
- 🤖 You can implement chatbots.
- 💻 You can edit and reply to messages centrally in the team, all via desktop.
- ✔️ The green tick shows your customers that it’s a trusted channel.
- 😎 You don’t have to worry about getting a warning or having your WhatsApp service blocked.
Use WhatsApp Business professionally with the Messenger Communication Platform from MessengerPeople by Sinch!
One of the easiest ways to get started with WhatsApp Web for your business is the software solution “Messenger Communication Platform” from MessengerPeople by Sinch. With it, you can…
- 👨⚖️ … use WhatsApp (Web) and other messaging apps via the official WhatsApp Business API for customer communication and ensure 100% data protection.
- 🗞️ … use Campaigns to send messaging newsletters and promotional notifications to your subscribers.
- 🚀… Start without IT effort and in the shortest possible time, even from a work-from-home setup!
- 💻… Edit and reply to all messages centrally, regardless what messenger app they are coming from.
- ↔ … Assign requests as tickets to your co-workers manually or automatically through auto-routing.
- 🤖 … Easily set up automation with our AI-powered chatbot, which is free of charge.
- ⬆️ … Boost your efficiency with reply templates.
- 💰 … Use WhatsApp and other messaging apps effectively, at fair price, and without a set-up fee for maximum personal digital consulting!