Chatbots: What is a WhatsApp Bot, actually?
WhatsApp Chatbot instead of Facebook Messenger Chatbot? At first there were chat bots primarily on Facebook Messenger. In the meantime, the WhatsApp chatbot is gaining ground worldwide. Why this is so and why a WhatsApp bot is useful for corporate customer communication, you will learn in this article.
In the article you will find out:
- WhatsApp Chatbots, WhatsApp Bot, Messenger Bot, or just a Bot – what are they?
- What are the advantages of a WhatsApp Chatbot?
- How do you design a WhatsApp Bot?
- Creating a WhatsApp Bot – what should you look for?
- Real-world examples of a WhatsApp Bot
- The best software solution for customer communication via messenger
In our editorial on “How Chatbots can be successful in customer service,” we’ll begin by explaining what the terms WhatsApp Bots, WhatsApp Bot, Messenger Bot, or chat bots have in common. Basically they are terms for one and the same thing, namely a bot. Wikipedia defines a bot as follows:
“A Chatterbot, Chatbot or short Bot is a text-based dialog system that allows chatting with a technical system. It has one area each for text input and output, through which it is possible to communicate in natural language with the system behind it.”
Most of them have encountered Chatbots on Facebook Messenger so far. In the meantime, however, a large number of WhatsApp Bots have long been in existence. What are the advantages of implementing Bots on WhatsApp?
- User numbers: WhatsApp has more than 2 billion users worldwide
- Target group: In addition to young people, over two-thirds of the over-65s also use a Messenger App.
- Automation: With the help of WhatsApp Chatbots, your company can save up to 80% more effort.
- Efficiency: Your company can answer customer inquiries on average 60% faster than by phone or email using WhatsApp.
- Popularity: Companies rely on channels such as phone, email, and SMS for customer communications. But 61% of customers today want to talk to them on WhatsApp & Co.
- Acceptance: Nearly 50% of customers want to communicate with companies via WhatsApp. More than 65% of online shoppers want service and advice via WhatsApp!
- Layout: It has often been criticized that WhatsApp Bots do not have buttons like the Chatbots in Facebook Messenger. Interactive buttons were introduced for the WhatsApp Business API!
- Costs: With customer communication via WhatsApp you can save the costs for expensive call centers and old CRM systems!
Basically, a WhatsApp Bots is designed like a Chatbot on Facebook Messenger. In general, the following applies to the conception:
- The Chatbot should help achieve the businesses’ goals!
- WHERE and HOW should WHO talk about WHAT – a mini checklist for a good Chatbot!
- You don’t need artificial intelligence to create a Chatbot, you just need a good, human idea!
Six points should be considered in any case by planning a Chatbot
- What goal should a (marketing) Chatbot have?
- What tonality should my Chatbot have?
- What should the Chatbot talk about?
- Do I want to offer a guided or free dialogue?
- How do I design a Chatbot dialogue?
- How do I react to questions that my Chatbot can’t answer?
In most cases, companies need simple Messenger Chatbots. Your WhatsApp Chatbot must be able to answer frequently asked questions. For more complex or individual questions, it must be able to forward them to the right service representative.
❗️ Note: As part of the October 2020 updates to the WhatsApp Business API, WhatsApp has announced that companies must ensure that customers are handed over to a human colleague by a WhatsApp Bots. This can be done by handing over to a human agent in chat, by providing a phone number or email, by web support, or by using a support form. MessengerPeople’s Chatbot Builder allows you to quickly and easily create an efficient chatbot that ensures this hand-off to a human colleague.
When creating a Chatbot it is important to consider the following aspects to ultimately optimize your customer service:
Automation of dialogs
The dialog is the core of the Chatbot. The connection between user questions and the corresponding answers of the Chatbot is established. Example: Who are you? – I am the smart bot!
Topics give the Bot a context. Thus, the Bot can give different answers to the same question depending on the topic. Example: Topic FAQs vs. topic products
With the help of variables, your Chatbot can retrieve previously defined data from its conversation partner. This data can then be used for personalization or targeting. Example: name, age, place of residence, willingness to take risks…
Data Model Integration
Data models are tables with additional data. The Bot can access this data during the dialog. Example: product catalog, opening hours, quiz questions…
It is important that you regularly analyze the performance and development of your Messenger Bot. Use the findings to optimize the Bot. Example: What are the most common unanswered questions? What are the questions that the Bot answers the most?
💡 Tip: Learn how to build a Chatbot with our Chatbot Builder in a short time and without programming knowledge.
“Lecker” has created a Chatbot that works on Facebook Messenger as well as on WhatsApp. As a WhatsApp Bot, it answers queries that revolve around dishes. With the corresponding hashtag, you can get immediate inspiration. The special feature: Here you can find inspiration via hashtag.
BMW Munich offers a special workshop service. With the Follow Now WhatsApp Bot, customers can check on the repair status of their car at any time, regardless of e-mail or phone. This reduces the burden on personal customer service. This frees up more time for more complex customer inquiries. When the car is ready, the WhatsApp Bots makes it easy to schedule a pickup appointment, too.
We receive about 3,800 inquiries from customers, of which we answer about 3,000 automatically. Recall requests have dropped by 60% and the recommendation rate has risen to 90%!
Albert Rösch, Head of Service Consulting at BMW AG Munich Branch
💡 Tip: Download the exclusive Case Study from BMW for free now!
Women’s Best offers advice and customer service with WhatsApp or via Apple Business Chat. The Bot pre-qualifies customer inquiries via messaging apps. It asks for the language, country, name, and e-mail address. It then hands over to a human colleague, who processes and resolves the customer inquiry.
Since the introduction of the messaging apps, the processing time of inquiries at Women’s Best has dropped by 50% and the Customer Care Team receives 70% less e-mail.
David Kurzmann, CEO & Co-Founder of Women’s Best
The Federal Ministry of Health uses WhatsApp for its information policy. With a simple WhatsApp Bot, Jens Spahn’s ministry provides information on the most important facts and figures about Corona. The WhatsApp Bot can be reached via +49 1516 2875183
You can implement all these practical examples with our software solution. It can be used immediately and is browser-based. In addition, your company can use it in a 100% GDPR-compliant way. Via autorouting, your colleagues in customer service always receive the right requests automatically assigned.
Our Chatbot Builder, helps you and your company to make customer communication more efficient with targeted automation via Bot. This is the case, for example, when it comes to the pre-qualification of a customer and his inquiry. Chat modules additionally relieve the customer advisors in direct customer communication.
You can get a first impression of our product here:
💡 Tip: Arrange a live demo for the Messenger Communication Platform now. We will guide you through the product via web demo and give you expert tips and answers to all your questions.
Learn more about Chatbots and Messenger
Have a great idea for customer service via messaging apps and want to talk about it? Message us!